1614 Redbud Street
Kissin Kuzzins is an East Texas query column entering its 43th year. It appears weekly in two East Texas newspapers: The Lufkin Daily News and The Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel. Queries are free, but they must pertain to a Texas ancestor. They may be submitted by e-mail, snail mail or by FAX to 936-552-8999. Please remember to include your snail mailing address
June 28, 2015
Do you know the name of the Catholic priest who called himself “Nothingness Itself?” Such humility and modesty was unusual for such a person. Father Antonio Margil was born in 1657 in Valencia, Spain. From early live he desired to become a missionary. He departed Spain on 4 March 1683 and arrived in Veracruz on 6 June. He walked to Queretaro, Mexico to help open the first College of the Propagation of the Fath in the New World.
He was to have accompanied the Ramon expedition of 1716 to what is now Texas. He became ill and was not able to accompany the group to their mission field. In 1717 he supervised the founding of Nuestra Senora de Los Delores in San Augustine, Texas and Sam Miguel de los Adaes near Natchitoches, Louisiana. In Coats Rica he had founded 15 missions, in Guatemala 10 missions, in Coahuila, Mexico, two missions.
While Margil was among the Nacogdoches Indians, a fellow priest and companion discovered some gold nuggets. It pleased the finder very much, already envisioning a source of income to build stately churches and Indian settlements. To his amazement, Margil took the pieces of gold and threw them into the brush, never to be located again. He remarked “We have not come to Texas seeking gold, but to find souls.”
The first lonely mission at Nacogdoches housed Father Margin and his priests, and from that day onward, Nacogdoches grew, sometimes with starts and sometimes with stops, but it grew.
From its beginning in 1716, Nacogdoches has grown until it is the bustling town of today.
From JUDGES OF THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS: Charles C. Grayson, born about 1825 Madison County, Alabama; married `1st Margaret L. TATE 23 March 1843; divorced 6 January 1865; married 2nd MRS. MARTHA M. (HALTOM) ALLEN, married 6 March 1854; divorced; 3) MRS. SARAH GRAYSON PYE, married 14 March 1865 (his cousin). He was the son of Charles & Elizabeth (CRAFT) GRAYSON. He was deputy county surveyor, a Master Mason, and a Civil War veteran, having served as Captain of Company D., 3rd Brigade, Texas State Troops. He served as Justice of the Peace from Nacogdoches County.
Another early Nacogdoches obituary:
Friday, July 26, 1901
There are two graves of Confederate soldiers who were buried as strangers during the Confederate was in the Nacogdoches cemetery. They are unmarked and unknown save to a few of our older citizens who were present at their burial. One of them is named Spencer and he died at the home of Capt. Joe Bruton in 1864. The other is named Smith who died in the same year in town, but we are not informed as to whose residence he died at
Both graves are together side by side, and it would require little effort or expense to keep them in good condition, or even mark then with modest tombstones. Where is out boasted patriotism? Lets display a little of it by making up a fund for this purpose. The Sentinel will head the list with a modest sum of a dollar. Who will cover it? Contributions may be left at this office or with Mrs. Councill, or with Mayor G,. B, Crain.
Little Sam W., infant son of Judge James I. Perkins, died Sunday afternoon at 5:30 o’clock. It is always sad and sorrowful to a home to give up one of its members, but when death comes as it did in this home it is peculiarly sad. Judge and Mrs. Perkins had gone on a visit to Central Texas, and never arrived here until several hours after the angel of death had borne little Sam’s spirit to the God who gave it. The sorrowing parents, brother and sisters have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad hour of bereavement. Sorrow not, but strive to meet him in that home where sorrow and pain is not known and sad partings never come.
RUSK INDUSTRIAL PRESS
[Sam W. Perkins, born 7 March 1797, died 21 July 1901, buried Cedar Hill Cemetery, Cherokee County, Texas]