Go to Kiwanis International's Website
General/Contact Information
Our Calendar
News
Photos
You are here
Our Officers
Our Committees
Our Sponsored Youth Programs
Kiwanis Family Links
How to become a member
Go back to the beginning
Our Community
Copyright 2000
Kiwanis Club of
Nacogdoches.
All Rights Reserved.

Club History

 

History Bulletin:

Nacogdoches Kiwanis Club

50th Anniversary

February 1, 2005

 

On February 1, 2005, the Nacogdoches Kiwanis Club celebrated its 50th anniversary. A little history follows.

 

The Nacogdoches Kiwanis Club was organized on February 1, 1955, and chartered on March 31, 1955. The club was co-sponsored by the Henderson, Athens, Jacksonville and primarily the Lufkin Kiwanis clubs. Additional initial support was given by Herbert Wilson and the Fredonia Inn.

 

The Nacogdoches Kiwanis Club sponsors two youth organizations, the Nacogdoches High School Key Club and the Stephen F. Austin Chapter of the Circle K (currently inactive). The Key Club was founded in May of 1967 and has continued to grow into one of the most successful clubs in the Texas-Oklahoma District. The Key Club now has over 200 members and is sponsored by Nancy White. Her predecessors, Denny and Lou Ann Jones, were instrumental in the recent growth of this club. The Circle K Club was first organized in 1963 and underwent reorganization in 1981 under then President Ken Durr.

 

In addition to the overall support provided to the sponsored youth, the Nacogdoches Kiwanis Club prides itself on the assistance it gives to the youth of the community. Several scholarships are awarded annually to students throughout the community, both at the high school and college levels. Additionally, the club has sponsored little league baseball teams, supported the Special Olympics, provided breakfasts at the Relay For Life, and constructed several pavilions in the local parks. More recently, the club has been an active supporter of the Reach Out and Read program, designed to provide opportunities for club members to read to children and also providing them with books to read on their own.

 

In order to support all of the services that the club provides, Kiwanis participates in several fund raisers annually. The Pancake Supper was organized in 1958 and continued to 2008 with the annual supper being hosted in February. Kiwanis has also extended its pancake making proficiency to include the annual Blueberry Festival. The blueberry pancakes served are one of the highlights of the festival, and in 2003, over 2000 pancakes were served. The club also helps with the Pepsi booth at the Nine Flags Festival serving soft drinks and handing out balloons for the kids. In the past the club has done such projects as hosting a golf tournament and selling a variety of items including peanuts, fruit cakes, light bulbs, mechanical pencils, and homemade ice-cream.

 

The first Kiwanis club was organized in Detroit, Michigan, USA, on January 21, 1915. A year later the Kiwanis Club of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, was chartered, and Kiwanis International grew rapidly into a leading service club in these two founding nations. In 1962 worldwide expansion was approved, and today Kiwanis clubs are active in every part of the world.