Restoration - 1997-1998

 

h1.jpg (70307 bytes) Here is the tractor as we found it in August 97, after having been stored in the blue sky shed for many years. h2.jpg (57671 bytes) As we started pulling the tractor up the ramps. Note that it is starting to slip off the ramp toward the downhill side - this is where the second come-along became esssential!
h3.jpg (56039 bytes) Here we are just before we hooked up the second come-along. Benny is on the tractor steering, I'm the one cranking the come-along. h5.jpg (37274 bytes) This is what a Farmall H looks like when it is going about 65 mph across Central Texas!
h4.jpg (92557 bytes) The next morning after arrival; this is where I left it parked in the driveway the night before! block-left.jpg (68415 bytes) September 97. Here is the tractor after block removal. The oil in here is probably the result of a bad rear main seal, although I guess it could have been thrown off by the throw out bearing instead. Yuck.
block-left-cory.jpg (56321 bytes) That's my main mechanical helper, Cory throw-out.jpg (63728 bytes) An enlargement of the clutch throw out bearing. We decided to go ahead and replace it since it was easy to do that with the tractor split.
block-right.jpg (84945 bytes) These photos are of the tractor with the front end, head, fan, and pretty much everything else removed, but with the block still in place. cherry-picked.jpg (58045 bytes) And here is the block being pulled off with the cherry picker. That white stuff on the ring gear on the flywheel is the remains of several dirt dauber nests, apparently they got in via the open grease cover on the clutch
reassmbl-lf.jpg (39105 bytes) As of late October 97, the engine was mostly reassembled, and most engine parts are prepared for reassembly. The block has been reinstalled. reassmbl-rt.jpg (26431 bytes) Here is the block viewed from the other side.
redparts.jpg (30248 bytes) And here are most of the remaining parts waiting to be put back on (all cleaned, repaired, and painted). run-rightfront.jpg (68112 bytes) In late November 97, we finally got the tractor running. We couldn't make it with the 6Vstarter, so towed the tractor out of the barn with my pickup, and my wife Laura pulled us around the barn until it started. Once it started, it runs very well.
run-right.jpg (54493 bytes) These pictures are of the tractor outside the barn; it made it to this place under its own power! We put the starter back on after these photos, it started and made it back into the barn for further work run-leftfront.jpg (67770 bytes) New front tires from Mickan in Walburg, still on the flat original rear tires though. Note temporarily missing starter and battery!
gauges.jpg (47637 bytes) Notice the newly installed replacement water temp gauge from Antique Gauges, Inc. It looks good and appears to work well. The original oil pressure gauge is intact and seems to work well enough to use. tires-left.jpg (125173 bytes) Over Christmas break I prepared and painted the rear rims so we could pick up the new tires. I got 11.2x38 (the correct original size, although when I got it there were 12.4x38s mounted) tires with 45 degree lugs from Mickan Motors up in Walburg, Texas.  
tires-right.jpg (49893 bytes) The lugs have a slight arc so they don't look exactly like the old ones, but it is pretty close, and they sure look good to me tires-right2.jpg (55947 bytes) The right brake is still off, as is the seat, so we go real slow, in what my Grandfather used to call "granny low". It turns out to be pretty hard to operate both the brake and the clutch when there's no place to sit down.
neardone4.jpg (48256 bytes) By the end of February essentially all of the mechanical work was done. There are a couple of minor oil drips that need to be dealt with, but they aren't urgent. neardone3.jpg (46623 bytes) I started to apply decals, but had problems due to either insufficiently dry paint or poor primer adhesion. After these photos were taken, I sanded and repainted the hood. Should be ready to try decals again by mid March.
neardone2.jpg (48671 bytes) At this point the Farmall emblem for the front had not yet arrived. I have installed the belt pulley I got in Smithville, but it needs a bit of repair work before it could really be used - a couple of the rivets are loose.. done-h10.jpg (61905 bytes) March 1998: It is time to declare victory! The remaining items are so minor that it wouldn't matter much if I never dealt with them.  More photos of the finished H are here.

[Recovery Road Trip] [Restoration - 1997-1998] [After Restoration] [Implements] [Expenses]

 


1999-2002 T.W. Cook - All Rights Reserved. Operating and repairing antique tractors is an inherently dangerous activity. In particular, Farmall H's predate many modern safety enhancements such as roll-over protection systems. Please, be aware of the proper safety procedures and take all possible precautions - be careful out there!

Some words, model names, and designations, such as "Farmall", mentioned herein are the property of the trademark holder, and are used for identification purposes only. This is not an official website.

This page last updated: September 27, 2003